Sunday, April 20, 2008

Never say "Never".....

Yup.... I said before that I never knit the same pattern again... Well, I'm eating my words now, because I made 7 Better Bucket hats. The pattern is so easy and quick to knit - it's simply addictive. And the hats make neat gifts, too. Making them with Malabrigo Merino Worsted does not hurt either :-) . What a wonderful yarn! Not a hint of scratchiness! Just soft, soft, soft.... and yet it feels 'meaty' and substantial during knitting. The colors are nice and rich for the most part. I love this yarn!

So, here are the 7 hats I made:























Hat #4 was made with Mission Falls 1824 Wool in Sprout. With this one, I did not make any modifications to the original pattern and you can see that the brim does not flare out much.

The remaining 6 hats were made with Malabrigo Merino and I applied the same pattern modifications to each.
The differences in the degree of brim flare were achieved through blocking, e.g. with hat #2, I flared out the brim more than in hat #7.
Hat #6a is a felted version of hat #6. I did not like that specific skein colourway, but it looked nice on my daughter, so I shrank it for her (approx. 3 min in the washer). I later made one for myself in the same, but deeper, more saturated colourway.

The Malabrigo colourways used for the hats are as follows:
1. Amoroso
2. Pink Frost
3. Glazed Carrot
5. Christmas Green
6 and 6a. Glazed Carrot
7. Buscando Azul

What's on my needles now? My first attempt at a knitted toy. I'm trying to make Lola Curly the Pig. So far, it's kind of fun.
I'm using Vanna's Choice Solid by Lion Brand, in Dusty Rose, on US size 4 needles. The resulting fabric is quite dense, actually, and feels pretty stiff. However, it beats TLC Essentials Solid, which I tried for this project in the beginning, but it felt extremely scratchy and stiff. So much so, that it could successfully double as a pot scrubber. Not very pleasant to knit with - at least not for this project and on such small needles.

4 comments:

  1. Great hats.
    Re the toy. I usually use size 4 needles for worsted weight yarn. You don't want the stuffing to show through. It'll give enough for the toy to be cuddly. Not to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :-) I was beginning to really doubt my needle size choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jak juz ci pisalam..piekne zdjecia.. eleganckie nakrycia glowy...ciesze sie,ze znow tu wrocilas..pozdrawiam ania

    ReplyDelete
  4. Świnia super! Ale kapelusze- oszałamiające!

    ReplyDelete