Thursday, April 17, 2008

What am I working on?

My 7th a Better Bucket hat!!! Yes - 7th! I'll post more details/photos later, when all 7 will be finished, blocked and presentable. Talk about an addictive pattern! For now, however, I'm posting the details of the modifications I made to the original pattern (I wanted to make the brim flare out a bit more and to fit a 22-22.5" head without too much of a stretch).Here is a link to a photo of the original hat by Amy Swenson (the hat's designer).
***Update as of  November, 2022 : the original free pattern for this hat is no longer available. 
 

 My version with modifications: 

Bucket azul 2
OK, here are the modification details:

brim made on size 8 needles, body of hat on 7

Provisional CO 100 sts
Knit 2 rounds
(K9, k1fb) x 10 (110 sts)
Knit 4 rounds
(K10, k1fb) x 10 (120 sts)
Knit 4 rounds
(K11, k1fb) x 10 (130 sts)
Knit 3 rounds
Purl 1 round (this produces a neat crease)
Knit 3 rounds
(K11, k2tog) x 10 (120 sts)
Knit 4 rounds
(K10, k2tog) x 10 (110 sts)
Knit 4 rounds
(K9, k2tog) x 10 (100 sts)
Knit 2 rounds

Join hem and proceed straight until you want the crown decreases to start. This might be a bit of a trial and error, but keep in mind that the section with crown decreases is designed for 18 rounds, so factor that in your overall crown length.

Crown decreases:

(k8, k2 tog) x 10 (90sts)
k 3 rounds
(k7, k2 tog) x 10 (80sts)
k 3 rounds
(k2, k2 tog) x 20 (60sts)
k 2 rounds
(k4, k2 tog) x 10 (50sts)
k 2 rounds
(k3, k2 tog) x 10 (40sts)
k 1 round
(k2, k2 tog) x 10 (30sts)
k2 tog around (15 sts)
You can draw thread through these 15 sts and finish hat, or continue decreasing a bit more.

Since we're on the 'hat' topic, here is the photo of my version of the Koolhaas Hat. Koolhaas a 

That was such a fun knit! Easy, yet engaging enough not to be boring. This pattern provides an excellent opportunity to learn cabling without a needle. Specs: Yarn - Handmaiden Fine Yarn 4 Ply Cashmere (1 skein) Needles - US size 2 and 4 Because the yarn I used is thinner than the pattern’s original, I cast on 128 sts (16 pattern repeats) and made Rows 1-8 of chart 6 times total. Finished circumference: 15-16” unstretched. And it feels like a dream on my head! A crown of cashmere! Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the mods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo ciesze sie,ze widze nowy wpis..super czapeczki...kapelusz elegancki a ta zielona pomyslowa...warto bylo codziennie zagladac bo sie doczekalam..nie wiem co pisze ale zdjecia mowia same za siebie:)..pozdrawiam ania

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many rows do I knit before crown decreases?? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, there! As I don't have the pattern anymore, I am unable to give you the exact number of rows. However, I am pretty sure that I just knitted the 100 sts straight from the brim until I was happy with the height of the crown, keeping in mind that the crown decreases are 18 rounds tall (i.e.factor them into your overall crown height).

      Delete